Chad Warpinski / EyeEmGetty Pictures
Flag etiquette is an critical part of the American custom that guarantees the Stars and Stripes are taken care of with the dignity they are worthy of. Founded by Congress in 1942, the formal U.S. Flag Code established guidelines for the treatment and show of the flag. Even though it does not describe an formal process for folding the flag, the policies do point out that you must hardly ever retailer a flag in a way where by it can get torn, soiled, or weakened. You must also hardly ever enable the flag touch something beneath it, these as the floor or floor.
More than time, a triangular form has develop into the classic way to fold the flag and retailer it in a protected way. In accordance to the American Legion, the exact origin of this particular procedure is not known, but it may trace again to the Gold Star Mothers of America or the United States Air Force Academy.
You can fly Outdated Glory any working day of the year, but you may want to set away an particularly substantial flag after exhibiting it on Memorial Day. This process will maintain your flag wanting pristine right until right until the Fourth of July or the following key holiday getaway. If you’re by yourself, initial lay the flag out on a desk facial area-up, smoothing out any wrinkles. If not, find a spouse and stand reverse every single other at the brief ends, holding the flag taut and parallel to the floor. This is what to do following:
How to Fold an American Flag
- Fold the lower, striped portion of the flag in excess of the blue discipline.
- Fold in excess of the folded bottom edge to meet up with the major edge.
- Start off a triangular fold by bringing the striped corner of the folded edge to the major edge.
- Transform the outer position inward, parallel with the major edge, to form a second triangle.
- Proceed right until the remaining folds ensure that only the Union (the blue portion with white stars) is showing and the open up edges are folded in.
See Particularly How to Fold the Flag
A couple guidelines:
- In the initial two ways, you’re in essence folding the flag in quarters lengthwise.
- If you’re folding the flag with a spouse, the individual at the striped close must make all of the triangular folds even though the individual at the Union close retains the flag taut.
Flag etiquette dictates only traveling your flag amongst sunrise and sunset unless of course it is thoroughly illuminated. You must also get down Outdated Glory in the function of inclement weather conditions except if it is an all-weather conditions flag built out of a non-absorbent product like nylon. Only fly American flags in great situation, but as very long as you follow these guidelines, your Stars and Stripes will final many years to appear.