The Canterbury Street Vent Shaft web-site in South Kilburn is operate by the Skanska Costain STRABAG joint venture (SCS JV) employing a vary of diesel-totally free technologies and greener tools.
Innovations on the site incorporate one of the UK’s initial 160 tonne emissions-absolutely free entirely electrical crawler cranes, the use of biofuels (Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil) to electrical power plant and equipment on site, an electric compressor and access to mains energy on a 100% renewable electrical power tariff.
Peter Miller, HS2’s Natural environment Director claimed: “We’re delighted to get to this key milestone in our Internet Zero Carbon Prepare.
“HS2 is enjoying a major position in the decarbonisation of the building marketplace, collaborating with the business and our provide chain to speed up innovation in low-carbon systems.
“Reducing emissions and strengthening air high-quality on HS2 development web-sites is essential for equally the setting and encompassing communities.”
James Richardson, Controlling Director of SCS explained: “We’re thrilled that Canterbury Street Vent Shaft has develop into the initial diesel-no cost internet site on the HS2 job.
“We’re working tough with our supply chain to introduce renewable electrical power, environmentally friendly hydrogen and sustainable biofuels to assist us eliminate diesel entirely from our sites by 2023.”
Improvements getting trialled and introduced on other web-sites involve:
- ‘Clear Air Fuel Engine’ funded as a result of Innovate United kingdom and led by OakTec, which replaces diesel electrical power with ultra-minimal (bio-LPG) emission engines in Advante Welfare units and standalone models.
- ‘EcoNet’ developed by Invisible Units, Balfour Beatty and Sunbelt which controls and lessens power output from vital appliances, cutting down power need by 30%.
- Non-Road Cellular Equipment retrofit options which provides pollution control machines on to more mature cars as an choice to changing the equipment or the engine, minimizing emissions.
- CESAR Emissions Compliance Verification which is a resilient method to exhibit the EU Phase engine emission class of all development plant.
- Proactive dust management remedies minimizing impacts affiliated with on-site routines.
- Completely Electric Renewable Energy using solar and wind to electrical power sounds and air top quality screens, web site security cameras and internet site briefing locations and photo voltaic pods powering web sites by combining solar PV, battery storage and a back-up generator.
- Hydrogen Technological innovation trials across web sites considering equally gasoline-mobile technology and flamable hydrogen options.