- Next a sequence of new building worker fatalities, New York Town Department of Structures Commissioner Melanie E. La Rocca this 7 days mobilized teams of enforcement inspectors to perform security sweeps of the city’s more substantial and additional elaborate building web pages.
- Even though executing these “zero-tolerance” sweeps, DOB inspectors will concern enforcement steps if they notice any security violations and will shut down web pages if they obtain really serious security lapses, the metropolis declared in a push launch. Inspectors and local community engagement teams will also be distributing “Employee Notify” security information at building web pages on the hazards of worker falls.
- In the very last two weeks, a few building personnel in the metropolis died in separate do the job-associated incidents. Two of these deadly incidents were being the outcome of worker falls, and all a few incidents are below investigation.
“The new spate of building worker fatalities in our metropolis is tragic, senseless – and even worse, fully avoidable,” La Rocca mentioned. “The dying of even one building worker is wholly unacceptable.”
Throughout this sweep, DOB inspectors will be conducting web page visits at thousands of building do the job web pages in neighborhoods throughout the metropolis. Contractors who are located to be placing their personnel at hazard by flouting security polices could face penalties of up to $twenty five,000 for every building security violation. Inspectors will be:
- Guaranteeing that permitted building projects are in complete compliance with their necessary web page security options.
- Confirming that contractors and security pros are closely adhering to New York City’s building security polices.
- Checking that personnel on web page are properly using security harnesses and drop arrest devices where by necessary.
- Distributing “Employee Notify” security information on how to avoid worker falls and sending immediate mailers to all permit holders executing roof do the job.
Previous month, the section declared that five new building security bills were released for thing to consider in the New York Town Council. If adopted, these costs would tremendously enrich oversight and accountability on building web pages in the metropolis by licensing typical contractors who perform building do the job, necessitating additional web page security supervision at more substantial do the job web pages, strengthening requirements for cold-fashioned metal building and completely banning the dangerous use of stand-off brackets for suspended scaffold do the job, the section mentioned.
This building security laws deal builds upon other new moves by the DOB to improve security on the city’s building web pages, together with escalating penalties for the most really serious security violations, using the services of hundreds of extra inspectors, implementing a very first-of-its-kind security education system for the city’s building workforce and escalating the frequency of unannounced building security inspections of large do the job web pages throughout the metropolis.
These security initiatives spearheaded led to a 34% reduce in injuries on constructing building web pages in New York Town from 2018 to 2020, the section mentioned.